Our new obsession. Being that it is dumping snow in March (Our groundhog sure enough burrowed right back into his hole this season, my friends), we decided to bring in some heat with delicious spices like cayenne and chipotle this month! Craving carnita-style tacos? Jackfruit is for you. Very similar to the texture of pulled pork, jackfruit will blow your mind when you add a few spices to it. It's like tofu in the sense that it's very neutral in flavor, and will soak up whatever spices you throw at it. BBQ, chipotle, smoked seasonings...try it all. It's all good. Being that it is a fruit, you can eat it raw, as is! No need to stress about cook time, you only need long enough to get it warm enough to your satisfaction.
Ahh... eating plant-based is too easy. ;)
FUN FACT: Jackfruit is HUGE!!! This fruit is one of the largest in the world, on average weighing about 20lbs, although they can weigh up to 100lbs. They hang from trees (barely, they're so heavy they often sag branches down), and look like giant spiky watermelons.
Where the magic lies for this food is its fiber and magnesium content. Each serving of jackfruit has almost 3 grams of fiber; compare that to the 0 grams of fiber content in the pulled pork it would be replacing (Why is fiber so important? Learn here). It also has 2-3 times more magnesium than meats like chicken or pork.
Magnesium is one of those sneaky nutrients that is incredibly important for health, but falls under the radar for the average person. Magnesium is one of the key minerals our bodies use to maintain electrical balance. This is huge for proper brain function, nervous system stability, immune system, and more. It is also a necessary ingredient in our bodies' natural antioxidant production. Long story short, without magnesium we're at higher risk for things like inability to focus ("foggy brain"), lowered moods, inflammation, high blood pressure, and more. No wonder they call Magnesium deficiency "The Invisible Deficiency". It really packs a punch, so get educated about it! (There is a highlighted citation below from the NIH to get a better idea on if you're getting enough magnesium---check it out!)
Spicy Chipotle Jackfruit Tacos
Servings: 6-8 tacos (3-4 people)
Time: 20 min
2 cans of Organic Jackfruit
Chipotle Powder (1 tbsp)
Chili Powder (1 tbsp.)
Nutritional Yeast (1 tbs)
Cumin (1/2 tsp)
Garlic Powder (1 tsp)
Smoked Paprika (1/2 tsp)
Tomato Paste (3 tsp)
Soy Sauce (1 tsp)
Olive Oil (3 tbsp)
Red Bell Pepper (1/2 cup)
Red Onion (1/2 cup)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
(Ballin' on a budget? ---Chili powder and some salt and pepper work great, too!)
1. Dice up red onion, and cut red bell pepper (long thin slices). Set aside.
2. Open up cans of jackfruit, pour our excess liquid, and cut up jackfruit into small pieces long-ways, resembling pulled pork.
3. Pour jackfruit into a large mixing bowl, and add in spices and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
4. Heat up pan to med-high and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add red onion and saute until slightly translucent (1-2 min).
5. Add spiced jackfruit, saute for 5 minutes on med-high, stirring often.
6. Add Red bell pepper, cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often. Turn heat on low.
7. In a separate pan, on med-high heat, put 1 tsp of oil in pan and heat up corn tortillas.
8. Serve jackfruit into heated tortillas.
1. Oliver, K. (2018, February 27). Jackfruit Sometimes Weighs 100 Pounds (and It Contains Crazy High Magnesium Levels). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from
2. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://www.myhealthwire.com/
3. Office of Dietary Supplements - Magnesium. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/