This recipe goes out to all the morning scramble fanatics. It captures the color, texture, and buttery deliciousness of scrambled eggs, but it completely plant-based, gluten-free, and nutrient-loaded with spices like turmeric and nutritional yeast. Because that's just how we do around here. ;)
I feel like a broken record preaching the many qualities of tofu, but seriously, it's awesome. Just a quick recap, tofu:
---Is high in protein: 10g protein per serving compared to 6g protein per serving of egg
---High in fiber: .4g per serving compared to 0g per serving of egg
---High in Omega 3's: Anywhere from 400mg-2,000mg compared to 180mg-600mg per serving of egg
Just an FYI, when your doctor tells you to increase your consumption of "good fats", they're almost always talking about omega 3's. tofu is bursting at the seams with omegas. The National Institute of Health (NIH) recommends a daily amount of 1,000-1,600mg of omega 3's to anyone from ages 19-50. One serving of tofu almost reaches that daily recommendation--if not surpassing it. Organic tofu for the win. Want more reason to love tofu? Check out what recent research has to say on its potentially beneficial regulatory effects on female hormones, as well as it's correlations to reducing breast cancer risk here.
Savory Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
Servings: 2 large burritos
Cook Time: 15-20min
1 12oz package of extra firm organic tofu
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2-4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup red onion
1/2 cup red bell pepper (optional)
1 can organic black beans (optional for extra fiber and protein)
vegan shredded cheese (optional)
1. Chop up onion, red bell pepper, and drain can of black beans. Dice up tofu in scramble-sized pieces. Set aside.
2. In a pan, heat up 2 tbsp olive oil on med-high. Add 1/2 cup red onion, saute for 3-5 min or until translucent, stirring often. Can be slightly browned to your liking.
3. Add tofu and spices, stirring often for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add red bell peppers Cook for about 2-3 minutes, adding olive oil if needed.
5. Turn off heat (if using vegan cheese add now to melt). Beans can be added to tofu and mixed until warm, or added into burrito separately.
6. In a separate pan heat up 1 tbsp olive oil on med-high. Warm up corn tortillas to desired color.
7. Load up tacos
1. Nutrition Facts Comparison for 100 grams of Soybeans mature seeds roasted no salt added vs 1 cup of Soybeans mature seeds roasted no salt added vs 100 grams of Tofu dried-frozen (koyadofu). (n.d.). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.myfooddata.com/tools/nutrition-comparison.php?food1=16410&food2=16410&food3=16128&serv1=100g&serv2=wt1&serv3=100g
2. Office of Dietary Supplements - Omega-3 Fatty Acids. (n.d.). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Omega3FattyAcids-HealthProfessional/
3. Thoma, F. (n.d.). Eggs and Omega 3s. Retrieved March 08, 2018, from https://www.enc.org.au/position-statements/eggs-and-omega-3s/